Blog Post 1: Who is Nichola Daniels ?

I am a 19-year-old part-time waitress and a full time student at the University of the Western Cape studying B. Com General. Though I study Monday to Friday and attend to work on a Saturday and Sunday, I remain conscious of my goals that I have set for the next ten years of my life.
My goals are listed below as well as an action plan to reach those goals:
1.    Goal: Finish my business degree
Action plan: I tend to procrastinate and leave assignment activities till last minute. I am conscious of this challenge hence I do my best to start with activities sooner rather than later to avoid procrastination and feeling overwhelmed with the workload. I have also decided to limit social gatherings. I get the feeling that once one gets a taste of pleasure, the urge is to get more. Social gatherings can therefore serve as a distraction and eventually make you lose sight of your goal.   Information Systems taught me as a university student that the world is becoming more and more modernized and adapting to your environment or surrounding is important.

2.    Goal: Go to culinary school
Action plan: Once I have achieved my business degree, I want to go to culinary school to become a chef. By recognising my passion for fine cuisine and the business environment will direct me to fill a position in the workplace that I will enjoy. Particularly the food industry will be exciting because Information Systems taught me how the food industry and technology will become so interconnected since most work activities will become computerized.  For example, in future, machines will serve peoples food. Being in a business environment where people prepares food fascinates me and an interest I definitely want to explore.

3.    Goal: Traveling the world to experience new cultures
Action Plan: Once I am settled in the work environment and financially stable, I plan to pursue my goal to travel and visit different countries. Information Systems taught me that in future people will do time travel which will allow them to travel back and forth in their lives. Besides time travelling, I feel traveling in general will broaden my horizons and allow me to experience different cultures, places, build memories but also perhaps finding purpose. Travelling is an interesting aspect for me because the movie of Julie Roberts, “Eat Love and Pray”, made me aware that finding happiness means realising your purpose on the earth. These memories will last you a lifetime and it will serve as a good cushion in old age. People change but memories last a lifetime.
Learning and understanding Information Systems is beneficial in any profession. Technology is continuously being updated or improving at an alarming fast rate since the world is continues to change and people should too. Like the Darwin theory said, “The fittest will survive”. In this new generation, adapting to the technological environment is the only way to survive in personally, socially and economically.


Comments